About this job
The successful candidate will work with a team to maintain and enhance both production and development database systems in and around the Mortgage Services space. Customer service skills along with teamwork and initiative are highly regarded. The Operations Database Administrator (Ops DBA) is responsible for SQL systems design planning, detailed problem determination, problem resolution, and issue escalation. This position will provide quality support with a high degree of customer service and hands on troubleshooting, technical expertise, and timeliness, while implementing preventative maintenance initiatives that can reduce or prevent future calls/issues.
We look forward to meeting a great candidate to work in a fast moving, challenging environment with clear objectives and great growth opportunity
The employee is accountable for all duties of this job. As an employee of IAS, the following three requirements are applicable:
- Participate in a cooperative team environment to meet the overall company objectives
- Respond to internal and external customers needs in a timely, accurate and professional manner.
- Work with Development/QA teams for continuing resolutions of problems/concerns with infrastructure and deployments.
Essential Duties/ Responsibilities
The Ops DBA:
- Manages existing corporate database systems to ensure proper tuning for maximum performance and reliability
- In conjunction with Application Development teams, architects and develops optimized database structures/schemas to manage the company’s high rate of growth.
- Familiar with SQL systems design for high availability/redundancy including clustering, mirroring, log shipping and consolidation.
- Develops reference documentation of all company database structures/schemas
- Works closely with the Applications Development team(s) to promote developed code into production.
- Troubleshoots and optimizes query strings and stored procedures
- Serves as an expert consultant in the realm of IAS’s database systems during the company’s continued growth and expansion.
- Serves as a resource for Help Desk trouble tickets relating to database systems and performance.
- Assists in establishing and implementing policies, procedures, and standards and ensuring their compliance with information systems and company objectives.
- Must be able to work before/after-hours (on-call).
- Must have Disaster Recovery experience for a mid size company, including the ability to create Business Continuity plans and work with department heads on these plans.
Job Qualifications - Knowledge, Skill & Ability
- Highly skilled in SQL Server (2000-2008 R2) administration, SQL query language, SSRS/SSIS support and database schema development.
- Strong sense of urgency required with ability to multitask and prioritize in a demanding, dynamic environment. Ability to plan, organize and schedule own work.
- Strong verbal and written interaction and communication skills and ability to deal with demanding and sometimes harsh client actions/words in a calm, professional manner. Ability to project a professional image at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to stay current in technologies and best practices, and the ability to apply these best practices in company’s application framework/architecture decisions.
- Familiarity with Scripting languages: VBScript, Powershell, and some .NET helpful
- Must be able to follow established guidelines to accomplish tasks and solve routine problems with ability to handle non-routine matters to a conclusion using professional judgment.
- Provide excellent troubleshooting skills for technical issues that may arise; using resources available to correct the issue in a timely and efficient manner.
Education or Formal Training
- BS in Computer Sciences/Information Systems or equivalent (Experience may be considered as a substitute).
- Certification in Microsoft skills- including SQL Server 2008 a plus
- Five or more years in a DBA role with emphasis on tuning SQL Server systems.
- Advanced query language experience
- Experience linking to external databases including Microsoft Access
- Significant experience in designing and executing reporting, especially SSRS
- Strong customer service skills and experience
- Requires continual sitting in front of a desk, in front of a computer.
- Considerable repetitive motion of hands and wrists as relates to the use of a computer keyboard.
- Lift up to 50lbs (moving computers, printers, and racking servers)